Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Temporal vs Eternal

This last week I let myself get caught up in worrying about certain situations. I let my mind wander to asking questions such as "How will this work out? What am I supposed to do? Why doesn't prayer seem to be enough? Why do I feel so lost and confused?." Last night, I realized I needed to just go on a walk and be quiet and still before the Lord. I just poured out my frustrations and confusion to Him. I asked Him to take this burden of worry from me and to be ever real before me. I walked along the beach with no one around me and just listened to the waves crash and looked up at the starry night. It was then I realized all these "worries" and "burdens" are temporary. Eternity with God is what matters. The burden then just melted off of me and I felt so much lighter. It put things into perspective for me. It made my burdens seem so small and insignificant. I realized that God is so much bigger than anything and will give me strength. I am desiring to be more aware of God and to be open and listen to Him. I was listening to a song by Brandon Heath as I walked last night. These words from his song Stolen spoke to me:
                        
                          You catch me like a thief in the night
                          You hold me when I put up a fight
                         You chase me when I run from Your light
                         Because You love, You won't give up
                        'Til my heart is stolen

These words were so encouraging. God doesn't give up on us. I poured out my frustration with him and fought somewhat, but He doesn't let that stop Him from loving me. Thank you Jesus! Steal my heart away, Abba! :)

15 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing this. way to often i get caught up in worrying about things that end up not really being that big of a deal and its encouraging to know i am not alone. your own self realization of understanding what you needed and the faith shown in knowing that God would show Himself in your stillness is so rad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love that God responds when we simply give Him space to move in our situations. So faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this encouraging blog. Sometimes we just need to be alone to truly know what's going on in our hearts away from all the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I love that you went on a walk. I think that is so precious and I will definitely start doing that. Also, I love those lyrics, like you said, very sweet and encouraging. Praise God that He is relentless. "The burden then just melted off of me and I felt so much lighter." Beautiful. Isn't it so crazy how we actually FEEL lighter when we give things over to the Lord. It's baffling. I'm saying a prayer after I write this that you will continue in that peace and eternal mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome what can happen when we intentionally make time to listen to God. I admire how you made time like that to be alone with God. I am challenged to do the same, and just go someplace where I know nobody will know or see me, and just pour out my heart to God. Iron sharpens iron, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These words are so encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing what God is doing, teaching, revealing to you. His truths are so good. Praise Him for walking with you, releasing the burdensome weight from your shoulders. May you walk in His freedom.

    I love walks on the beach ;) and starry nights. and you. and Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been so worried about temporary things too. Thank you so much for sharing. God is eternal and everything else doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to encourage you to continue to BE STILL and know that He alone is God. Just BE STILL. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. ash, He is a HUGE God capable of all things. i'm praying He grants you supernatural perspective to see your circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh how difficult it is to let go of the temporal. Be encouraged, you are not alone in this. Christ adores you and will give you peace. Thanks for another great post as always. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing Ashley! Thank you for this beautiful reminder and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. I love it when those awesome realizations just come...and BOOM....everything sort of falls into place and you feel at peace know God is all that matters and is in total control. So stoked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this is so relevant to my post and what has been going on in my life. the eternal perspective is so key in walking alongside Jesus. I think we tend to make our lives more important than they really are, like all the little details. but eternity with God just washes all those burdens and worries away! so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, eternal perspective in all we do. that's a phrase that's stuck with me a long time. this world is a small time, a very small time. i love you and i'm thankful that you were able to clear your head from this, at least for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. God is awesome like that...steal my heart. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete